Technical Museum of Slovenia
The TMS was founded in order that a fitting record of Slovenia’s industrial heritage might be kept. Its mission was – and is – to collect, preserve, protect and exhibit moveable elements of heritage pertinent to and symbolic of the historical development of this nation’s indigenous crafts, trades and industry. Such a broad-set objective and the shortage of display and depository sites led to the creation of specialist exhibitions at various other locations across the country. Over the years many of these semi-autonomous operations expanded and extended their collections to such a degree that today they are independent museums in their own right. Here, special mention should be made of the Blacksmith and Foundry Museum in Kropa, the Idrija Municipal Museum (with its specialist mercury mining collection); the textile collection, which forms part of Kranj’s Regional Museum, and the Jesenice Ironworks Museum.
The first forestry and hunting collections of the TMS at Bistra were opened to the public in 1953. Today, across more than 6,000 m2 of exhibition space, there are permanent exhibits encompassing agriculture, transport, forestry, woodworking, hunting, fishing, textiles and electrical engineering. In addition to these, there are a number of dislocated collections in different parts of the country, including the Museum of Post and Telecommunications in Polhov Gradec, together with Wagensberg (Bogenšperk) Castle with its graphics and printing workshop as well as cartographic exhibition. Mention should also be made of the the Soteska open-storage depot.
[This information is copied from link to page]